Support, encouragement, and inspiration for the spiritual journey.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our thoughts are not who we are

Thoughts flow through the mind endlessly. The river of our thoughts create our experience and feeling tone in our lives. We cannot control which thoughts arise in our minds. However,
We have choices on how to approach them.

I would like to share three ways to approach thoughts which have helped me, when I feel
uncentered, disconnected from love and from God.

In order to create a change, I have to first notice that my mind is moving in a direction that
escalates feelings of doubt, fear, anger, insecurity, or any negative energy. The awareness
Of observing the thought pattern assists in detaching from the identification with the thoughts.
Once I can see what is happening, I no longer am the victim of my thoughts. Distance is created. I become the witness to my thoughts and no longer see myself as the thoughts.

We are the witness of our lives. We are pure consciousness.

I have the choice now to decide if I want to continue experiencing the suffering or to
redirect my attention toward a direction that brings healing and peace.

My teacher, Swami Satchidananda, advised me to repeat my mantra when my mind
indulges in harmful thinking. It works and is a very simple practice. A mantra is a sacred sound vibration which uplifts the mind. The energy of the sound is healing. A very simple mantra is:
Om Shanti. Shanti means peace in Sanskrit. If you are more comfortable repeating peace in English, that works also. There are thousands of mantras. Use the one that works for you.
This is a form of training the mind. We benefit from being in charge of our thoughts instead of our thoughts being in charge of us.
I enjoy practicing metta when my thoughts are not helpful toward my well being.
Metta is wonderful at any time.  It is a practice taught by the Buddha to his disciples
to help develop loving kindness and compassion in our heart. We begin with repeating the following phrases to ourselves:
May I be safe from inner and outer harm
May my mind be peaceful and happy
May my body be healthy and strong
May I live with ease in this life.
You can alter the phrases so that they feel good to you.
Engaging in a spiritually uplifting practice helping to open the heart shifts energy into
A healing direction. In doing metta, do not be surprised if sometimes you feel unloving toward yourself instead of loving. It is a part of the process. Be clear about your intention of
Moving toward loving kindness and allow whatever needs to be cleared and felt move through you.  Compassion toward your human experience will arise in time.

I hope that these suggestions are helpful. 
Truth is one.
Paths are many.

With love,
Rev. Supriya Swerdlick

No comments:

Post a Comment